There are numerous benefits to using a rubber mat. They are highly durable, incredibly strong and versatile. Rubber mats can withstand significant weight and offers excellent protection to your sub floor. But there’s often one problem, the smell on rubber mat. When you install rubber mats indoors, you may quickly start to notice a rubber flooring odor. While some rubber materials have a stronger smell than others, that rubber odor can be overwhelming especially if you installed many mat in a smaller space, such as weight room or a garage. That smell can give people headaches, and if you are running a business then it could drive people away.
Rubber mats naturally give off an odor because they are made of rubber. Some people are highly bothered by rubber odors, while others don’t mind them so much especially if they choose a low odor option. Rubber mats that are made from vulcanized recycled rubber, can smell strongly, especially when they’re brand new. Some mats made of vulcanized rubber are treated to help it minimize the odor. Other mats, such as for outdoor used on playgrounds or barns carries a significant odor. When you smell the rubber from a mat, you are smelling the mat giving off volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Almost all scents and odors derive from VOCs. These compounds have been trapped in the rubber, but as the mat is exposed to the air and let in place for a while, the release of VOCs will slow down, and the odor will fade.
Here are a few tips on how to get rid of rubber smell:
Choose Appropriate Mats to make getting rid of Rubber Odor easier
- Avoiding a rubber odor in the first place is far easier than rubber odor removal after the fact, so it’s important to realize that some rubber mats have stronger odors than others. As you choose your rubber mats, keep potential odor issues in mind.
Use a Neutral pH Cleaner as a Rubber Odor Neutralizer
- Cleaning your new rubber mats immediately can help to minimize the odor. Use a neutral pH cleaner and thoroughly clean both sides of the mat. It’s ideal if you can do this outdoors, rather than bringing the mat inside first. Allow the mat to thoroughly dry before you install it.
Maximize Ventilation during Rubber Odor removal
- Proper ventilation is key to eliminating rubber smell. If you have your mats installed in a space with poor ventilation, you’ll quickly find that the rubber odor will build up and only get stronger. Ventilation can help significantly, especially during the first few days and weeks after you’ve installed the mats. Make sure that you have the windows open and fans going as often as possible until the smell has dissipated to an acceptable level.
Sunning will speed up Outgassing for Rubber Smell Removal
- If you’re going to sun your rubber mats, it’s best to do it during the summer, when the sun is strongest. The method is still effective during other times of the year, too. Depending on the specific rubber mat you’re working with, you may need to sun it for a few hours up to a few weeks before the process of out gassing is complete. Most rubber mats are durable to withstand limited sunning, but if you have tried this strategy with another type of flooring or another product, realize that other materials may be more sensitive to sunlight. Excessive sun can bleach or fade products, and you should never sun a foam or latex product. Make sure that your mats are thoroughly dry and odor-free too before you bring them indoors and install them.
Store mats strategically to get rid of Rubber Smell
- Eliminating rubber smell can be more difficult in a small space, especially if you’re living in that space during the process. If you have a garage or shed, this might make an ideal storage space while you work on eliminating rubber smell in the mats. Storing the mats elsewhere will help to minimize the odor that you have to deal with.
Be Patient when trying to Remove Rubber Smell
- When it comes to eliminating rubber smell, a bit of patience is often necessary. Make sure that you start with a low-odor product, which will make the overall process easier. If you need to have your mats installed by a date, order them well ahead of time so that you have plenty of time to work on rubber odor elimination.
Tips for Business:
- If you’ll be bringing rubber mats into your business, like a gym, then you probably won’t have the luxury of being able to take your time in airing out a space and installing the mats gradually. In this situation, it’s wise to advise your clients ahead of time that the installation will be taking space. Anyone who is highly sensitive to smells will have some notice to find an alternative situation for a few days. When you notify clients, be sure to highlight the steps you’ll be taking in eliminating rubber smell. Remind the clients of the benefits that the new mats will offer and explain that you’re aware that the odor may be a problem and that you have a rubber odor elimination plan in place.
The smell won’t last forever, and the above steps can help to get rid of the rubber smell, so you can get back to enjoying the space even sooner. At Nice Backyard, we have a range of different Rubber Mats and are very good from smell point of view. Compared to other mats, Nice Backyard’s rubber mat’s smell goes away in few days. Contact now to inquire and check it for yourself ?
Please cllick this link to see our Rubber Gym Mat & Flooring Products: https://nicebackyard.com/nice/product-category/rubber-gym-mats-flooring/