Decking is the ideal opportunity to extend your home into your garden. However, before building a deck on your own there are a few things you should consider that will help you build your own decking paradise.
Before you start laying down your deck boards though, it’s worth running through a quick checklist to make sure you’re covering your bases. Consider these guides at the beginning of your project and you’ll optimize design, manage the cost of building of your deck and create the backyard you dream of and not just the one you end up with.
- Location – Planning the location for your decking is the first important step to consider. If your property size is limited, then it will probably dictate where you can build a deck but if you have a large garden then some planning is necessary.
Tip: There are no set rules that say a deck must be attached to the house. You may find a detached location at the end of your garden that will provide the perfect getaway.
- Size & Design – The size and design of your decking will be mainly determined by your deck’s location and your budget. Make sure to determine your budget before you start, as your plans for grandeur could realistically be a lot more modest.
- Materials – When choosing your decking material, it is not always about looks; durability, affordability, and maintenance are also important considerations.
- Screws & Nails – Low-quality screws and nails will corrode, discolor your deck and shorten its life. When the structure of decking fails, it is generally due to the use of faulty or low-quality fixings. Invest in stainless steel or coated decking screws that have been specifically made to resist corrosion.
- Railings & Privacy Fencing – Platform decks are the easiest to build but if it is higher than a few feet off the ground, you may need to consider installing railings for safety. If your deck is visible to your neighbor’s garden or their garden is visible while you’re on your own deck you may also want to install a privacy screening that will help block the view from either vantage point.
- Know your level of DIY Skill – Make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into before you start building a deck. Decking is a large project to undertake for any person with half DIY skills, but if you’re not so confident, you may want to consider consulting a professional. You could save yourself a lot of trouble and money in the long run.
We hope that with guides we provided helped you on how to start and what to consider before installing your DIY Decking. At Nice Backyard, we supply and install Composite Decking just give us a call on (03) 9402 6483
The deck is an awesome addition to your home. Not only it’s a great space to relax or entertain but also it adds beauty and value to your home. Whether you choose a natural wood deck or a low-maintenance composite deck, you can pick from a variety of styles based on the contours of your land and tour desires.
Adding a deck may seem like a lot of work but it’s relatively inexpensive and the long-term benefits greatly outweigh the initial cost. There are many options of materials for decks, from different types of softwood, composite materials that are resistant to scratches and stains. Then, of course, there are different styles of railings. Building a deck is very exciting and the process can be fun too. And when you finally decided to build one, just give us a call at Nice Backyard to help you with the planning and the installation.
Benefits of the Decking:
- The deck is the ideal outdoor space for your guests
- It is a great outdoor space for entertaining. It’s the perfect area to host a family dinner, neighborhood gathering or even a simple barbecue. Since the dining room and inside the home can be crowded, owning and having a deck is perfect as you and the guests will have more space and fresher air. When the weather is nice too, the deck gives you the opportunity to enjoy the sunshine in a living room type setting.
- A good quality deck increases the value of your home
- Decks are a sought-after feature for potential homebuyers. Homebuyers want to see a family-oriented outdoor space. Adding a deck can increase its value and desirability in case you ever want to sell.
- Deck additions are the perfect extension for your home
- If you are looking to add space or extend your home, a deck addition is one of the quickest ways to do so. On the other hand, home additions can take months. A deck can be completed much more quickly. Home additions can also be intrusive to your lifestyle. In contrast, deck construction is much less invasive and keeps all the mess outside.
- Deck gives you an extra space
- Adding a deck creates additional usable space for your family. It gives you a defined area for a grill, furniture, potted plants, and so many other things. This means less space used in the yard. When you have a deck, your yard becomes freed up for other uses.
- The cost of a Deck is inexpensive and has a high value
- Compared to other home renovations, a deck can be very inexpensive. This is a great benefit for homeowners who are on a budget but still want to add value to their home. If your deck is made with high-quality, durable materials, it will last for a long time and give you years of enjoyment. Deck adds dimension to your yard and transforms the way it is used. Adding a deck is a great investment that will increase the value of your home and improve your quality of life.
We hope that with some information we provided helped you to know more about what the benefits you can get when you have a Deck outdoor. At Nice Backyard, we supply and install decks, just give us a call on (03) 9402 6483