Composite decking has a great low-maintenance alternative to wood. The composite decking industry had some growing pains in the past, but composite decking materials continue to improve and the number of quality products on the market increases each year.
Having an amazing deck can be the most wonderful feature of a home. Choosing the wrong deck can shell out thousands of dollars to get your deck back to where it was before the wear and tear. Decks add value to your home so you will need to be careful on what and how you choose your deck as it’s going to be permanent. The biggest frustration you’ll encounter will be choosing the best composite decking, no need to worry as we’re here to help you choose the best decking for your home. The benefits of having a composite deck are endless as you won’t have to repaint your deck, you’ll avoid potential termites and your deck will look brand new all year round.
Here are some guidelines for choosing the right deck:
- Budget – Composite decking is a great option for those on a budget. Always consider the size of your deck and the cost of the installing systems. You can choose details right down to the texture of the deck. While on the lower end of your budget you might find fewer colors, repetitive grain patterns and smooth or combed finishes that always look great. You can also choose some of the best composite decking’s that are budget-friendly with a system that installs with face screws instead of hidden fasteners.
- Look – If you are hesitant about a composite deck because you really want it to look like wood, no need to worry. The higher end composites have a fantastic grain design and look extremely wood-like in both feel and appearance. Many manufacturers will even buff the boards at the factory so there won’t be any plastic sheen appearance. Consider things too like railings, post caps, and decorative trim to give your deck the ultimate dress up.
- Quality– A good quality will help you get the composite deck of your dreams. Since it’s a great addition to any home, you’ll find yourself spending more time on your new deck. However, do so comfortably too by considering how hot the deck will get, how much space you need, and how you can make it a serene space. From color to texture, analyze what will be the best for you.
- Fun under the Sun – It’s important to understand that dark and dense composite decking options will get extremely hot in the sun. if you want to use your deck during summer, it’s probably best to avoid dark color. Also, if you’re sitting on a chair on your dark deck, the heat reflected off the plastic can make you sizzle. You can get composite samples in lighter colors and get them outside the sun for a test run before you choose which one you want.
- To add fasten or not – Hidden fasteners aren’t important to everyone. Others care if they see the fasteners when looking at their new deck. But if you don’t want to see the hardware that went into the installation, then use the hidden fasteners.
- Extras – Composite planks will use all the basic tools that a wood deck would. The decking planks are only a portion of what you’ll be paying for. You might need some end caps or other pieces too. Just make sure to consider all the extras when planning decking design. Consider special trim, skirt pieces and lovely add-ons like railings and posts.
- Uses of your deck – When you are building the design for your deck, consider what you are going to use the deck for. You should consider things too when it comes to your decks so you can have your family and friends come over without feeling too tight. Extend your home into your yard with a large, spacious deck made of the best composite decking for more entertainment and enjoyment.
We hope that with the tips/guide that we provided, helped you choose the right and perfect Composite Decking to be added onto your home. At Nice Backyard, we supply and install too composite decking, just give us a call on (03) 9402 6483.
The deck is an awesome addition to your home. Not only it’s a great space to relax or entertain but also it adds beauty and value to your home. Whether you choose a natural wood deck or a low-maintenance composite deck, you can pick from a variety of styles based on the contours of your land and tour desires.
Adding a deck may seem like a lot of work but it’s relatively inexpensive and the long-term benefits greatly outweigh the initial cost. There are many options of materials for decks, from different types of softwood, composite materials that are resistant to scratches and stains. Then, of course, there are different styles of railings. Building a deck is very exciting and the process can be fun too. And when you finally decided to build one, just give us a call at Nice Backyard to help you with the planning and the installation.
Benefits of the Decking:
- The deck is the ideal outdoor space for your guests
- It is a great outdoor space for entertaining. It’s the perfect area to host a family dinner, neighborhood gathering or even a simple barbecue. Since the dining room and inside the home can be crowded, owning and having a deck is perfect as you and the guests will have more space and fresher air. When the weather is nice too, the deck gives you the opportunity to enjoy the sunshine in a living room type setting.
- A good quality deck increases the value of your home
- Decks are a sought-after feature for potential homebuyers. Homebuyers want to see a family-oriented outdoor space. Adding a deck can increase its value and desirability in case you ever want to sell.
- Deck additions are the perfect extension for your home
- If you are looking to add space or extend your home, a deck addition is one of the quickest ways to do so. On the other hand, home additions can take months. A deck can be completed much more quickly. Home additions can also be intrusive to your lifestyle. In contrast, deck construction is much less invasive and keeps all the mess outside.
- Deck gives you an extra space
- Adding a deck creates additional usable space for your family. It gives you a defined area for a grill, furniture, potted plants, and so many other things. This means less space used in the yard. When you have a deck, your yard becomes freed up for other uses.
- The cost of a Deck is inexpensive and has a high value
- Compared to other home renovations, a deck can be very inexpensive. This is a great benefit for homeowners who are on a budget but still want to add value to their home. If your deck is made with high-quality, durable materials, it will last for a long time and give you years of enjoyment. Deck adds dimension to your yard and transforms the way it is used. Adding a deck is a great investment that will increase the value of your home and improve your quality of life.
We hope that with some information we provided helped you to know more about what the benefits you can get when you have a Deck outdoor. At Nice Backyard, we supply and install decks, just give us a call on (03) 9402 6483
Do you have composite decking questions?
Read our FAQs right here:
What is it made of? Made up of wood and plastic. The wood particles can be anything from sawdust, wood chips, and wood fiber pieces. The plastic components can be either virgin or recycled plastic materials.
What is the advantage over traditional timber decking? It is long straight lengths, quick and easy to install, never warps, never rots, splinter free, no sanding, no painting, no sealing, no staining, long-lasting, scratch resistant, and bug resistant.
What maintenance is usually required? None, only occasional cleaning with a soap and water or a pressure clean.
How does the cost of composite decking compare with wood? The upfront cost of this decking is more than that of pressure treated wood. However, that is offset by a useful life that’s significantly longer. Buying wood means you will have to incur the cost of replacement sooner. In addition, the maintenance costs of wood are greater because composite decking requires less maintenance. You can take advantage of certain brands that sell lower cost composites. They typically offer a more limited choice of colors, textures, and designs which still retain the main benefits of composites.
Does composite decking get hot in the sun? This depends on the color and material. Dark colored decking made of heavy and dense composite material will absorb a lot of heat and make it hot in the summer. Lighter colored and less dense materials do much better in the summer heat. Look for composite decking specifically made for staying cool in the sun.
Will my composite deck look like plastic? The pricier composite decking comes in a variety of natural wood colors with dense and rich looking grain patterns.
Does composite decking require special tools for installation? No. Composite decking requires no specialized tools beyond what you would use with wood.
How long will the antimicrobial product protection last? Antimicrobial protection is built-in during the manufacturing process and will not wash off or wear away. It is engineered to provide continuous antimicrobial product protection for the useful lifetime of the product.
How is it fixed? Each board is pre-grooved on both sides to take a hidden fastener system.
How does temperature affect my composite deck boards? Composite deck boards are suitable for all climates and are sold all over the world where harsh freezing winters and boiling hot summers have put them to the test.
Are they slippery when wet? No. Composite decks are wet resistant.
Can you DIY? Yes, it is a DIY Friendly.
At Nice Backyard we stock Composite Decking and Fascia, please give us a call to enquire about our range of decking products.
Having a Deck helps improve your place to look classier and more fascinating. It’s the perfect place too to entertain friends and family during special occasions or even just a simple get together that’s why its very important to make sure that it always looks great. There’s nothing like giving your deck a through clean to bring it back to life and with the right maintenance steps it will be a pretty simple job.
Once your beautiful deck is installed, you will need to clean and maintain it to keep it looking at its best for more years to come. This will help you eliminate mildew and help you spot any problems over time and to protect your deck too. Here are some things that you need to know to clean and maintain your decks:
Step 1: Sweep away the dirt and the leaves
- Brush the deck down using a soft broom to remove the dirt / leaves. This will help to prevent some particles from building up and damaging your deck. If the deck needs a more thorough clean, you can use a stronger brush and some water.
Step 2: Use a high-pressure cleaner / Power wash
- Using a high-pressure cleaner / power wash will wash away any remaining dirt and make sure you carefully go over the whole deck. If you are cleaning an older deck, make sure too that the high-pressure cleaner doesn’t split or crack the wood. For your safety wear closed shoes, safety glasses and earmuffs and if you don’t have a high-pressure cleaner, a simple hose will do too.
Step 3: Use a cleaner and mix it with water
- Use a cleaner mixture for decks and mix it with water, make sure you follow the instructions to get the correct balance. Use a measuring cup too for accuracy and mix it with water thoroughly. Make sure you wear gloves, goggles and a mask when working this as its for your safety.
Step 4: Scrub the Deck
- Dip your Deck Scrub Broom into the bucket of cleaning mixture and start scrubbing the deck. Thoroughly scrub every part of the deck to avoid some spotting. Leave the cleaning mixture on for 10-20 mins.
Step 5: Wash it a high-pressure clean
- After you left the cleaning mixture for more than 20 mins, wash it down with the high-pressure / power wash hose. Make sure you wash away all the cleaning mixture along with any dirt and grime. Leave the deck to dry.
Step 6: You can now enjoy your clean deck
- After cleaning your deck, now you have a brilliantly clean deck again, all you need to do is put your outdoor furniture or BBQ back where they were before. You can also stain or oil the timber to help protect it from the elements.
Step 1: Find an appropriate Deck Cleaner
- Shop around for a composite deck cleaner and make sure it specifies for composite decking and not for wood decking. You’ll want to do this first to make sure you have everything you need before you begin cleaning. Composite cleaners are best for regular composite boards. Read the instructions on your cleaner and determine a good day when it’s not too hot to focus on your deck. You’ll need to move furniture and cover any immovable fixtures with a trap.
Step 2: Remove Debris
- Sweep the deck to remove the debris and dirt. Check in between the boards for little twigs and other debris that like to gather there.
Step 3: Power Wash your Deck
- Power wash / use a high-pressure cleaner to wash your deck to remove any dirt, mildew or any other stains. If you have a newer deck, the manufacturer may recommend you to simply clean it with your garden hose. Mildew stained decks but will benefit from a heavier stream of water. Power washing can also reduce the amount of time.
Step 4: Apply Cleaner
- Apply composite decking cleaner as per manufacturer’s instructions. Alternatively, use a mixture of dish soap and water. Scrub soiled areas with a cloth or soft-bristled brush. A stiff brush may scratch or dull the finish of your decking and should not be used.
Step 5: Spot Clean and Repair
- Don’t let the stains to pile up. Clean spills ASAP so they don’t get worse over time. Regularly sweeping your deck can help protect it from mold and keep debris to a minimum. While cleaning, look for any nails or screws that need to be secured or other issues that requires attention. Cut back foliage that is hanging over your deck to reduce debris and diminish the chance of mold growth.
Your deck is a beautiful addition to your home, providing you and your family with a space to grill and just hang out. We hope that with the steps above helped you maintained your composite and merbau deck to last long and keep it looking great ?